QUESTION (EigenVectors)

Hi there.

I am a a computer science student; and that is probably why
this question may seem deprived of any chalenge to you. But it
is quite challenging to me.

The question is: how do you extract the 1st EigenVector from a
3x3 matrix (and optionally 2nd and 3rd)?

I read a solution which forces the person to extract the 3
roots of a 3rd degree polynomial. And this has to be done by
hand of course.

Hence, it is possible to compute that manually. But I am rather
looking for an algorithm do carry this task, a solution which
does not involve any manual evaluation (such as root extraction).

Therefore do you know any algorithm/source code to do that (or
know where to find it)?

thanks