RE: Up-Values with GroebnerBasis

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg19433] RE: [mg19424] Up-Values with GroebnerBasis
  • From: "Ersek, Ted R" <ErsekTR at navair.navy.mil>
  • Date: Tue, 24 Aug 1999 01:29:29 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

 Cliff Nelson wrote:
------------------------
The Solve function in Mathematica version 3.0.1 uses GroebnerBasis but
GroebnerBasis does not use up-values with which I define my own kind of
numbers. So, how can I use Solve to quickly find solutions to equations
with coefficients which have up-values for addition, subtraction,
multiplication, division, and powers defined by my own rules for B
numbers(a list of numbers wrapped by the head B[{a,b,...}]) in version
3.0.1? It works fine in version 2.1, 2.2 and 2.2.2.

------------------------

Are you sure the kernel isn't ignoring your up-values for addition,
subtraction, and
multiplication?  In Mathematica Version 3 and 4 the kernel uses built-in
rules for Plus, Times before user defined rules (including your upvalues).
I recommend you start by looking into that.

As to how you can use Solve to quickly find solutions:
- I don't really understand your problem.
- I only have a vague understanding of GroebnerBasis.

But if you send in an example you will probably get a solution.  Keep in
mind the probability of a good solution is inversely proportional to the
length of your example.

Regards,
Ted Ersek

For Mathematica tips, tricks see