Behavior of Array[]

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg19444] Behavior of Array[]
  • From: jslater at (Joseph C. Slater)
  • Date: Wed, 25 Aug 1999 01:25:14 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

I've been using Mathematica for many years and one thing still puzzles me.
Elements of the array defined by the variable 'a' can be obtained using
a[[i,j]]=expression. However, the command Array creates arrays comprised
of elements named in the form 'a[i,j]'. Note the single brackets.
Everything I see in the Mathematica book about brackets says that these
are functions. This seems inconsistant to me. Shouldn't they be listed as
'a[[i,j]]' until they are defined? What are the single brackets supposed
to mean if not elements of the array 'a'?
Thanks in advance,

Joe Slater

Dr. Joseph C. Slater             mailto:joseph.slater at
Mechanical and Materials Engineering    office:+1 (937) 775-5085
Wright State University                    fax:+1 (937) 775-5009
Dayton, OH 45435