How to: Read Notebook and auto-evaluate ?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg20938] How to: Read Notebook and auto-evaluate ?
  • From: pecora at zoltar.nrl.navy.mil (Lou Pecora)
  • Date: Wed, 1 Dec 1999 01:50:06 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

I am unsuccessful in reading in a Notebook and automatically evaluating
its cells.  The Mathematica book makes it sound simple, but it doesn't
work.  What am I doing wrong?

E.g. I have a notebook ("mynbook.nb", say)  with one line:

xx=2;

This is a normal cell.  Then when running a session in another notebook I
use Get to read it in:

Get["mynbook.nb"]

This returns lines of text about notebook stuff and shows the assignment
xx=2 in the midst of all that.  But when I type

xx  (enter)

I just get xx back, not 2.  Looks like Mathematica finds the Notebook but
does not evaluate the cells.  How can I do this?  Thanks for any help.

Lou Pecora,  email:  pecora at anvil.nrl.navy.mil
Naval Research Laboratory, Washington, D.C. 20375-5000, U.S.A.
 == My comments are my own and do not reflect the views of the U.S. Navy. ==
 == No Spamming or solicitations -- both are illegal at this site ==
Check out our Nonlinear Dynamics Web site: http://chaos-mac.nrl.navy.mil/
  * The 5th Experimental Chaos Conference Orlando FL June 1999.
Check it out at  http://www.physics.gatech.edu/ecc5/
  * The 4th Experimental Chaos Conference Sessions & Abstracts Online: http://natasha.umsl.edu/Exp_Chaos4, proceedings available.