SelectionEvaluate does not run in sequence

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg21056] SelectionEvaluate does not run in sequence
  • From: "Roger Wilson" <roger.wilson at nomura.co.uk>
  • Date: Sun, 12 Dec 1999 23:51:21 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

I'm trying to generate a set of reports in html.  I have a controlling
notebook which runs through a set of files in a loop, setting a filename
variable, selecting another notebook and using SelectionEvaluate to run
that.  The problem I'm encountering is that SelectionEvaluate does not inset
the new tasks into Mathematica's task list at the point its encountered but
appends them on the end.

This means if I have six files, the filename is changed six times, the other
notebook is selected six times and told to execute but it doesn't actually
do anything until the loop exists.  When this happens the other notebook
runs six times but always with the last filename becuase the loop exists
before the evaluations of the other notebook made by SelectionEvaluate
actually run.

DoStuff[filename_] := Module[{},
    myfilename = filename;
    SelectionMove[main, All, Notebook];
    SelectionEvaluate[main];]

Do[
  DoStuff[files[[i]]],
  {i, 1, Length[files]}]

main is a notebook I want to execute that uses myfilename as an input.
files is a list of filenames.

Any ideas, comments or laughter?

Roger Wilson