Re: A Bitmap file as input for Mathematica 3.0

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg21210] Re: [mg21035] A Bitmap file as input for Mathematica 3.0
  • From: Jean-Marie Thomas <jmt at agat.net>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Dec 1999 01:29:03 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Suppose you have an image "myImage.bmp".

You can import it in Mathematica :
myImage=Import["myImage.bmp"]
and visualize it using
Show[myImage]

Using
FullForm[myImage]
will give you something like :

Graphics[Raster[
    List[List[List[255, 255, 255], List[255, 255, 255], List[255, 255, 255],
        List[255, 255, 255],
<<...>>,
Rule[ColorFunction, RGBColor]], Rule[AspectRatio, Automatic]]

which is now expressed as a Graphics object.

Since a Graphics object has no built-in size (you could resize it, manually on
the notebook, or using
Show[myImage, ImageSize->500] for instance, and note the default size for
Graphics object is set by your style sheet, default being something like 288),
the data you can import does not have a display size.
Maybe the Windows .bmp format has a display size, but Mathematica does not read
it.