text erases parts of graphics

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg21204] text erases parts of graphics
  • From: Patrick Hansmeier <patrick at ds.e-technik.uni-dortmund.de>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Dec 1999 01:24:58 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hello,

I tried to get some explanations next to a graph, using
Text[]. Platform is M4.0, Sun Solaris 7.

However, the text box seems to extend past the characters, its
background erasing parts of the plot. In the latter example, the graph
is wiped out right of the text.

e1 = Graphics[Text["Pulse", {7, 0.1}]];
e2 = Graphics[Plot[Sin [x], {x, 0, 9\[Pi]}]];
Show[e2, e1]

With Show[e1, e2] I get the uninterrupted graph, but no more axes
(same would apply to gridlines, if drawn). Experiments with
Background->Automatic or None provided no solution.

The prob persists with the examples in the help browser as given in
Math. Book's chap. 2.9.16, e.g.

Show[Graphics[{{GrayLevel[0.5],
           Rectangle[{0, 0}, {1, 1}]},
             Text["Some text", {0.5, 0.5}]}]]

gives the rectangle, the text with the notebook's background colour
and a stripof that colour extending from the text to the right (more
generally, to the direction given by the dir-parameters, if set).

I have no means of checking if this is platform-related. Does anybody
have some hints on the solution of the prob, a workaround for this or
where to look for some?

Patrick

--
to understand recursion, you have to understand recursion first