GraphicsArray and alignment of graphs

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg21099] GraphicsArray and alignment of graphs
  • From: Thomas Bohl <Thomas.Bohl at cern.ch>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Dec 1999 01:21:00 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Dear Mathematica Experts,

I have got a problem concerning "GraphicsArray and alignment of graphs".

The problem is that I could not figure out, how to align horizontally the
frames of two graphs with identical x-axis (scale), but different y-axis
(scale) in a convenient way.

To illustrate the problem:

fig1 = Plot[x, {x, 0, 10}, Frame->True]
fig2 = Plot[x^4, {x, 0, 10}, Frame->True]
Show[GraphicsArray[{{fig1}, {fig2}}]]

The two frames are not aligned horizontally.

I would like to have both frames aligned horizontally. This is not
possible with "Align Selected Graphics". I have searched the mathematica
newsgroup, the site of WRI and just came across the same problem posed
about five years ago, and then several times again, without finding a
satisfying answer.

Somebody proposed to apply  Rectangle[Scaled[]... to one of the figures
until they align. However, this is quite a tedious procedure, especially
if there are several graphs to align.

I think it is quite common in some sciences to make this kind of aligned
plots, showing for example data & fit in one graph and the residuals in
another or showing a contourplot in one graph and a projection in another.

Please let me know, how to get around this problem (still using
Mathematica and not exporting the data for another software).

Kind regards,
Thomas Bohl.