Re: Partial evaluation

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg21144] Re: Partial evaluation
  • From: "Allan Hayes" <hay at haystack.demon.co.uk>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Dec 1999 01:21:45 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Kevin,

The part assignments

A[[i1, i2 ... in]] = expr

and

A[[i1, i2 ... in]] := expr

work if and only if
- A is a symbol that has been assigned a value with Set, for example

A = data

    (not with A:= data)
- and data has a part with index  (i1,i2 ... in).

A is not evaluated in this process.

Allan
---------------------
Allan Hayes
Mathematica Training and Consulting
Leicester UK
www.haystack.demon.co.uk
hay at haystack.demon.co.uk
Voice: +44 (0)116 271 4198
Fax: +44 (0)870 164 0565

"Kevin Jaffe" <kj0 at mailcity.com> wrote in message
news:8320dg$glm at smc.vnet.net...
> I'm sure this is a FAQ, but I haven't found the answer.
>
> First we define:
>
>     In[1]:= A = {{0, 0}, {0, 0}}
>
>     Out[1]= {{0, 0}, {0, 0}}
>

> Then the following assignment works: