Re: calculus with Grassmann variables

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg21188] Re: calculus with Grassmann variables
  • From: Bojan Bistrovic <bojanb at physics.odu.edu>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Dec 1999 01:23:52 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Diego Bellisai wrote:

> Hi everybody,
> I am looking for a Mathematica package or notebook which allows me
> to deal with Grassmann (anticommuting) variables and to perform
> calculations with both (standard) commuting and anticommuting variables.
> In particular, I am interested in performing matrix calculus (products,
> determinants and so on) with "anticommuting entries" matrices and with
> commuting entries matrices.
> Can somebody help me, please?
> Cheers, Diego.
>
> * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
> *  Diego Bellisai                                     *
> *  Physics Department                                 *
> *  University of Padova                               *
> *  Via F. Marzolo, 8 - 35131 Padova (Italy)           *
> *                                                     *
> *  e-mail: bellisai at pd.infn.it                        *
> *  Tel.: ++39-049-8277183      Fax: ++39-049-8277102  *
> * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Aaah...
I know the frustartion you're probably going through :-). I'm not sure
if you know about these sites, so I'll tell you anyway. There's a
(package for high energy physics called FeynCalc; I'm not sure if it can
do what you want. You can check for yourself on http://www.feyncalc.com.
There used to be a few older packages free for download on
http://mathsource.wolfram.com under Application/Physics. Last time I
checked there was "tracer", "hip" and a few other ones. I'm not sure any
of these can do operations on general Grassmann variables, but they can
probably help. Last, but not least, you can do what I'm doing: write
your own program. It's the slowest method but you'll at least know
what's going on, and I can tell you, it's gona be a very educational
experience.

Bojan Bistrovic,                       bojanb at physics.odu.edu
Old Dominion University, Physics Department,      Norfolk, VA