Re: Plotting a step function with the origin indicated

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg21272] Re: Plotting a step function with the origin indicated
  • From: "Allan Hayes" <hay at haystack.demon.co.uk>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Dec 1999 03:46:53 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

aey,
This really has nothing to do with step functions.
The ranges of the axes are determined by the plot range; which is computed
taking into account the object being plotted, here a line but not extras
from AxesOrigin, Prolog and Epilog. Hence the second of your results:

gr2=Plot[q[y], {y, -1, 1}, PlotStyle -> RGBColor[1, 0, 0],
AxesOrigin -> {0, 0}]

To complete the axes we can specify the plot range, interactively or by
programmiing:

Plot[q[y], {y, -1, 1}, PlotStyle -> RGBColor[1, 0, 0],PlotRange ->
{-.2,1.2},
AxesOrigin -> {0,0}]

Show[gr2,PlotRange -> {-.2,1.2}]

CompleteAxes[gr_]:=
Module[{xmin,xmax,ymin,ymax,ox,oy},
 {{{xmin, xmax},{ymin,ymax}}, {ox, oy}}=
{PlotRange,AxesOrigin}/.AbsoluteOptions[gr];
Show[gr,
PlotRange ->
{{Min[xmin,ox],Max[xmax,ox]},
{Min[ymin,oy],Max[ymax,oy]}}
]
]

CompleteAxes[gr2],

You  might like to enlarges th plot range a little, say by 5%.

news:83klp2$1f8 at smc.vnet.net...