Re: Mathematica and OPENSTEP

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg15748] Re: Mathematica and OPENSTEP
  • From: rdieter at (Rex Dieter)
  • Date: Fri, 5 Feb 1999 03:42:43 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

In article <78unj3$9k3 at> rmj at leland.Stanford.EDU (Roger M.
Jones) writes:
> At present I am running Mathematica on NeXT "black hardware".  However,
> I want to run Mathematica with OPENSTEP 4.2 on a recently purchased PC.
> Is there a Mathematica version specifically for this operating system?
> And, have users found Mathematica to be stable when run in this way.

Mathematica 3.0 is a NEXTSTEP 3.x application, but since OPENSTEP 4.2
(ala   NEXTSTEP 4.2) is fully backward compatible, it "just works".

An entirely unforigiveable bug exists (that I reported almost 2 YEARS
ago   now) that makes Math'ca 3.0 almost unusable (for us, at least).
Postscript   print jobs contain erroneous information/data that causes
print outs to   fail.  See  for more
details about the bug.  The page claims it SOMETIMES occurs, but   in
my testing, it occurs EVERY time (unless you are using a NeXTprinter).

Rex A. Dieter			rdieter at  Computer System Manager Mathematics and Statistics
University of Nebraska-Lincoln