RE: BracketingBar for output

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg15768] RE: [mg15717] BracketingBar for output
  • From: "Ersek, Ted R" <ErsekTR at>
  • Date: Sun, 7 Feb 1999 02:03:49 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

Peter Breitfeld  wrote:
In my "personal package" I have the function Betrag[x_]:=Sqrt[x.x]

Now I want that in cases where this function can't be evaluated, the
output in StandardForm is displays as |x|. (left and right
BracketingBar, these symbols you get when entering `ESC l| ESC' and
`ESC r| ESC'.

To make it more clear (I hope :-)) I want the following behavior

In[1]  Betrag[foo]
Out[1] |foo|

In[1]  Betrag[{2,2,1}]
Out[1] 3