How to input a determinant

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg15831] How to input a determinant
  • From: "Chee Lim Cheung" <cheelc at mbox2.singnet.com.sg>
  • Date: Fri, 12 Feb 1999 18:39:51 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi Mathematica experts,

I was teaching Cramer's rule using Mathematica and one of my students
asked me how to input a determinant in the traditional way using
Mathematica. I wish the determinant A of order 2, 3 or higher to appear
like |A| with the elements enclosed between two vertical bars by the
side. Is there a clean way to do this in Mathematica?

Thanks
Chee