How to input a determinant

Hi Mathematica experts,

I was teaching Cramer's rule using Mathematica and one of my students
asked me how to input a determinant in the traditional way using
Mathematica. I wish the determinant A of order 2, 3 or higher to appear
like |A| with the elements enclosed between two vertical bars by the
side. Is there a clean way to do this in Mathematica?

Thanks
Chee