Re: Compiling a Module

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg15877] Re: Compiling a Module
  • From: sidles at (John A. Sidles)
  • Date: Wed, 17 Feb 1999 23:33:32 -0500
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

Klamser <Klamser at> wrote:
>Can anyone tell me, why compiling a module saves no time during

It all depends on whether the module compiles wholly,
largely, or not at all to "Op Codes".

To test this, you can check your compiled modules with the
following simple utility:

   myFunctionIsOpCode[x_] := Apply[List,x][[3]]//

When speed is important, it is well worth tweaking your modules
so that the above function returns "True".

This tweaking is more of an art than a science, for me anyway.
When a compiled function returns "False", I examine the compiled
code (using "FullForm") for clues as to which elements the
compiler is unable to parse into op-codes.  Often, these are
harmless.  For example, Print[...] is not compiled as an
opcodes, but who cares?  So long as Print[] is used only to
generate occasional status messages.