Re: escape-sequences in strings

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg15930] Re: escape-sequences in strings
  • From: Jens-Peer Kuska <kuska at informatik.uni-leipzig.de>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Feb 1999 23:34:00 -0500
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hello Timo,

a) the MathLink Reference manual is a part of the Mathematica Book
   page 630 and in the refernce section page 1256. There is also a
   PostScript version of the 2.x MathLink kit on MathSource

b) Mathematica works with Unicode. C-Strings are usual char[]'s and
   only 8 bit than 16 bit for unicode.  Your frontend must deal with the
   unicode and. Look to the PutByteString() and
   PutUnicodeString() in the reference section. The behaviour in the
   Mathematica book describe the escape sequences inside of Mathematica.
   What You see in the frontend is quite different from what you have
   inside a C-function, \[Beta] is *one* unicode character and inside
the
   frontend a nice greek letter. The character \ is the most special of
all
   and I would like to see what MLNextCharacter() returns.

Hope that helps
  Jens

Timo Felbinger wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am currently working on a front end (in C) for Mathematica, which
> passes user-defined input via mathlink to the Mathematica kernel for
> evaluation.

snip-snapp-snip-snapp