Re: "Display", "ESP" and "MathLink"

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg16126] Re: [mg16026] "Display", "ESP" and "MathLink"
  • From: Andrzej Kozlowski <andrzej at>
  • Date: Sat, 27 Feb 1999 03:23:01 -0500
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

There are two problems involved here. First, when you evaluate Display[
"graph.eps", graph, "EPSI"] Mathematica ties to call via MathLink a
program called psrender which is supposed to render the PostScript
graphic. MathLink is, for some reason, unable to find it. I suspect that
this is because you have some "illegal" characters in some of your folder
disk or folder names.

Unfortunately, there is a second problem. Even if fix this and
Mathematica finds psrender you will not be able to get the graphic you
want. Mathematica 3.0 for the Mac Display function is very buggy and most
of the Display commands of the form Display[channel, expr,"format"] do
not work as they should. The format EPSI definitely does not work. One
that actually works well and which I use is Display[channel, expr,
"PDF"]. You will often get better results by selecting the graphic and
using the Save Selection As command in the Edit menu though there are
bugs in that too (e.g. the Illustrator format does not work). Exporting
of graphics seems to be the most buggy aspect of Mathematica 3.0!

On Sat, Feb 20, 1999, Bjorn Leonardz <Bjorn.Leonardz at> wrote:

>I want to use Graphics from Mathematica in a document produced in
>FrameMaker5.  [ MacOS 8.1 (Swedish), Mathematica for the Macintosh
>So I try using "Display" like this:
>graph = Plot[Sin[x], {x, 0, 6.3}]
>Display[ "graph.eps", graph, "EPSI"]
>Then I get a beep (one that Why the Beep?... cannot explain) and there
>appears a blinking sign M Link in the far right corner of the menu
>bar. I click on it and see a black diamond next to  the MathKernel icon.
>So I click on the MathKernel icon and an input dialogue appears:
>Choose a MathLink Program to launch
>There I get stuck. I don't know what a MathLink program is and the
>online help does not help in this case. At least it doesn't help me. All
>I want is to get an EPS-version of a graph, one that can be imported by
>Where did I go wrong?
>Bjorn Leonardz
>Stockholm School of Economics

Andrzej Kozlowski