Re: ? scatterplots with differently sized labels and dots ?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg15541] Re: ? scatterplots with differently sized labels and dots ?
  • From: Paul Abbott <paul at physics.uwa.edu.au>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Jan 1999 13:44:29 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Nicholas Gessler wrote:

> I have successfully used ReadList and ListPlot to read a table of data
> from  the hard drive and produce a simple scatterplot.  What I want to
> be able to do  is to label each point with a sequence number and vary
> the point size  according to a third variable.
>
> Example:  I wish to plot an inventory of iron artifacts according to
> catalog  number, weight, easting and northing.  The table looks like
> this:
>
> number   weight   easting   northing
> 1        120        55        77
> 2         50        49        63
> 3        215        44        55
> 4         10        65        44
>
> I want the dot size to be proportional to the weight so the plot might
> look  like this:
>
>                                 [[1]]
>                          (2)
>              (((3)))
>                                          [4]
>
> If I were writing a program in Basic, this would be simple enough.  Is
> there a  way to do this easily in Mathematica or should I write a
> program in C?

Perhaps the following solution is easier than using Basic or C

You have already used ReadList to import the data.  Assuming that you
put the data into a matrix,

In[1]:= mat = {{1, 120, 55, 77}, {2, 50, 49, 63}, {3, 215, 44, 55},
  {4, 10, 65, 44}};

Then use pattern-matching (easy to code, use, and modify) to do what you
want:

In[2]:= mat /. {m_Integer, w_, n_, e_} :>
	{AbsolutePointSize[w/5], Point[{e,n}],Hue[1],Text[m,{e,n}]};

Display the graphic:

In[3]:= Show[Graphics[%], AspectRatio -> Automatic, Frame -> True];

Cheers,
	Paul

The University of Western Australia            Nedlands WA  6907
mailto:paul at physics.uwa.edu.au  AUSTRALIA
http://www.physics.uwa.edu.au/~paul

            God IS a weakly left-handed dice player