RE: change the solution to a differential equation into a user defined function - question.nb (0/1)

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg15595] RE: [mg15566] change the solution to a differential equation into a user defined function - question.nb (0/1)
  • From: "Ersek, Ted R" <ErsekTR at navair.navy.mil>
  • Date: Thu, 28 Jan 1999 04:23:25 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

You can use the line at In[2] to define a function from the soln to a
DE. At Out[3] we see it works.

In[1]:=
sol=DSolve[y'[x]==x,y[x],x];

In[2]:=
y[x_]=(y[x]/.Part[sol,1])
Out[2]=
\!\(x\^2\/2 + C[1]\)

In[3]:=
y[r]
Out[3]=
\!\(r\^2\/2 + C[1]\)

BUT BEWARE:
When you (lhs=rhs) and (lhs) contains  a pattern (e.g.  x_ ) you must
make sure  the pattern doesn't have a global value.

To show what can go wrong I define
h[t_]=3+Sin[t]
when t=12 below.

In[4]:=
t=12;

In[5]:=
h[t_]=3+Sin[t]
Out[5]=
3+Sin[12]

Note the line above would work if I used: Block[{t}, h[t_]=3+Sin[t]]

Cheers,
Ted Ersek