out of memory reading large(?) file (Q:)
- To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
- Subject: [mg18453] out of memory reading large(?) file (Q:)
- From: "iMic" <schaferk at communique.net>
- Date: Wed, 7 Jul 1999 00:11:36 -0400
- Organization: Verio
- Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com
greetings: i am trying to read in a large file (6.3MB) of zeroes (0.0) and ones (1.0). after giving the kernel 50MB, the kernel reports out of memory. surely this amount of memory should be enough. the version is Mathematica 3.0 on a PowerMac 6500/225 with 96MB RAM. i have tried before (on much smaller files), using unformatted binary output of the file along with ReadBinary, only to find unbearable long read times (> 5Mins). what's the current best approach toward getting this data into Mathematica for processing. i'd like to make an animation from the data. m. r.