Re: EPS file generation bug for BarChart[]

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg18465] Re: EPS file generation bug for BarChart[]
  • From: "P.J. Hinton" <paulh at>
  • Date: Wed, 7 Jul 1999 00:11:44 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

In article <7lcedq$1j1 at>, Dan Truong <dtruong at>

> I get an error, the kernel hangs, and the file is not generated when
> I try to export a bar chart as shown below:

> momo = FilledListPlot[{1,2,3,4,1}]
> EPSFile[momo,"tata"]
> Graphics::"optx": "Unknown option AxesFront in Options[Graphics].

> How can I fix this
> 	A - With a workaround (like a batch removing the AxesFront->.. commands
> 	    I don't really know how I could do that with such a complex
> list...)

The behavior you describe is a known problem for which there is an FAQ

The page refers you to download a new version of the package from our

The source of the problem is in the package FilledPlot.m.  The option
AxesFront is added as an option to Graphics.  The option is implemented as
a top-level modification of the graphic rather than a change in the
Graphics -> Mathematica PostScript conversion algorithms in the kernel.

The top level code in FilledPlot.m uses a wrapper function to Display[]
that detours the call through some code that modifies your Graphics object
so that it reflects your AxesFront option setting.  The result is then
sent to the built-in definition of Display sans the AxesFront setting.

The code that was supposed to handle this did not take into account the
instances where Display[] is called with more than two arguments, such as
the example you cite.

This problem is fixed in Mathematica 4.

P.J. Hinton
Mathematica Programming Group           paulh at
Wolfram Research, Inc.