Re: Which Convert files where?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg18486] Re: Which Convert files where?
  • From: paulh at wolfram.com (P.J. Hinton)
  • Date: Wed, 7 Jul 1999 23:08:44 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

In article <7lunaa$lgi at smc.vnet.net>, Murray Eisenberg <murray at math.umass.edu> writes:

> (Sorry, this is complicated -- because I'm confused!)
>
> Installing Mathematica 4.0 (Windows 98 version) installs the
> DumpSave-format package
>

> C:\Mathematica4.0\SystemFiles\Kernel\SystemResources\Windows\Convert\ConvertInit.mx
>
> and the LaTeX 2.09 style file
>
>   C:\Mathematica4.0\SystemFiles\IncludeFiles\TeX\notebook.sty
>
> (where "Mathematica4.0" is my name for the top Mathematica directory).
>
> A .tex file generated from a whole notebook includes the comment:
>
> %%Implementation-specific instructions for installing TeX-related files
> %% can be found at this URL.
> %%
> %% http://www.wolfram.com/support/FrontEnds/Export/TeX
>
> That URL, in turn, has a link to a page specifically for 4.0 that
> includes the link:
>
>    http://www.wolfram.com/suppport/FrontEnds/Export/HTML/Convert.zip
>
> The file Convert.zip includes among others the following files, all
> dated 5/20/99:,
>
>   ConvertCommon.m
>   ConvertInit.m
>   HTMLConvert.m
>   TeXConvert.m
>   notebook.sty
>   notebook2e.sty
>
> along with a README.txt file telling where to install these.
>
> QUESTIONS:
>
> 1. Is the functionality of these four .m files subsumed by
> ConvertInit.mx?

The four .m files comprise the code which is used to create
ConvertInit.mx when we build a CD-ROM.  The instructions set
up your kernel so that it uses the definitions in the .m files
rather than the .mx file.

> 2. If so, is the content of these four .m files more recent than
> ConvertInit.mx (whose date is 4/21/99) more recent than that of
> ConvertInit.mx?

Yes.  They will continue to be updated with time.

> 3. What is the relationship of notebook.sty in that .zip file with
> notebook.sty that is installed as part of installing Mathematica 4.0?
> (Note that the version numbers and dates of these two files are
> inconsistent--the one installed says "v.30  December 20, 1998" whereas
> the one from the .zip file says "notebook.sty,v 1.5 1999/05/05"!)

The version of the notebook.sty file in the .zip file replaces the one
that sits in

	SystemFiles\IncludeFiles\TeX

> 4. How come installing Mathematica 4.0 installs notebook.sty (which
> seems to be exclusively for LaTeX 2.09 or else Plain TeX) yet does not
> install notebook2e.sty (which is for the now-standard version of LaTeX,
> namely, LaTeX2e)?

It _does_ install notebook2e.sty.  The file sits in the deeper down
in the directory tree.

	SystemFiles\IncludeFiles\TeX\texmf\tex\latex\wolfram

The files that are used with LaTeX 2e sit in a TeX directory standard
tree to make it easier to copy the files to your existing TeX installation.

--
P.J. Hinton
Mathematica Programming Group		paulh at wolfram.com
Wolfram Research, Inc.