Re: RE: RE: ExpIntegralEi

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg18684] Re: [mg18632] RE: [mg18491] RE: [mg18463] ExpIntegralEi
  • From: "Kevin J. McCann" <kevinmccann at Home.com>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 01:46:02 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Andrzej,

You have hit it exactly. Since the real and imaginary parts of the original
integrand ARE well-defined, well-behaved, etc. There is NO mathematical
ambiguity and certainly no computational ambiguity. I believe that Hendrik's
assertion that both answers are equally valid is incorrect.  This is easily
seen from the definition of a Riemann integral of well-defined, etc.
function.  Conclusion - the numerical integration is correct (to the
accuracy of the numerics), the symbolic answer to the DEFINITE integral is
wrong.

My two cents worth,

Kevin