  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg18726] Re: POLE-ZERO PLOTS
  • From: paulh at (P.J. Hinton)
  • Date: Sat, 17 Jul 1999 02:36:44 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

In article <7mjsbi$fcg at>, "BA" <aliane at> writes:

> In control systems, it is a custom to represent the poles of a transfer
> function by "X", and the zeros by "o".  When, I use mathematica to get the
> pole-zero plot, I am not sure how to display poles with crosses "x"...the
> only function I'm aware of is PointSize...but this function uses a different
> symbol.
> Is there anybody out there who can propose a straightforward way to do it.

Use a Text[] primitive in your graphic to place x's and o's in the places of
your poles and zeroes.

Someone has already written a simple function for generating these kinds
of plots in Mathematica.  You can find it in the notebook that makes up
this MathSource item.

P.J. Hinton
Mathematica Programming Group		paulh at
Wolfram Research, Inc.