- To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
- Subject: [mg18865] Re: ARghh!!
- From: Paul Abbott <paul at physics.uwa.edu.au>
- Date: Sun, 25 Jul 1999 03:30:05 -0400
- Organization: University of Western Australia
- References: <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com
"O. Matt Umurhan" wrote: > I am having the worst time dealing with a complex numbered expression. > The problem is this: I have a numerical expression I wish mathematica > to evaluate, the expression happens to be complex. So, I have it > do the evaluation and for output it gives me, for example, > > Out= ((1+ 2 I) - (43 - 4 I)) > > when the ouput ought to read: > > Out= -42 - 2 I Actually, you mean -42+6I. I don't see why you are getting an unsimplified result. If you enter ((1+ 2 I) - (43 - 4 I)) into an input cell it does evaluate as expected. Perhaps you need to show some of the steps leading to this unsimplified result? ____________________________________________________________________ Paul Abbott Phone: +61-8-9380-2734 Department of Physics Fax: +61-8-9380-1014 The University of Western Australia Nedlands WA 6907 mailto:paul at physics.uwa.edu.au AUSTRALIA http://physics.uwa.edu.au/~paul God IS a weakly left-handed dice player ____________________________________________________________________