Re: Re: Slow Version 4 Front End

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg18900] Re: [mg18761] Re: Slow Version 4 Front End
  • From: tburton at brahea.com (Tom Burton)
  • Date: Mon, 26 Jul 1999 14:27:44 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

On 25 Jul 1999 04:09:47 -0400, in comp.soft-sys.math.mathematica you
wrote:

>Is this unacceptable behavior confined to OS 8.x?  To some specific Mac
>models?

>Right now we still have Mathematica 3.0.1 installed in that lab.  If the
>cited problem affects our configuration, then version 4.0 will be
>USELESS to us!!!

I use Mathematica on Windows, but I sometimes watch others using
Mathematica on Macs sharing a network with Windows. Mac users describe
the kernel as "alseep" and "hard to wake up".

My limited experience is that the delay affects Mathematica 3.0 and 4.0
to about the same extent. There is considerable variation in the length
of delay, but this length seems to depend upon the current state of the
network, more so than on the version of Mathematica that is running.

So, from my experience, the problem should not deter you from upgrading
from 3.0 to 4.0.

Tom Burton