Re: New book on Mathematica Graphics is needed

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg18909] Re: New book on Mathematica Graphics is needed
  • From: Jens-Peer Kuska <kuska at>
  • Date: Mon, 26 Jul 1999 14:27:48 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

Hi Ted,

> When would one want to use Hierarchical Data Format,

never if you don't know what it is look at

> MAT matrix format, PNG format, portable graymap format,
> portable pixmap format, portable anymap format,

If you are working with bitmap images you need one format.
It should allow
-  RGB and palette images
-  alpha channel for masks
-  loss less compression.

The format depends on the other programs you use.

> Mathematica system-independent raster graphics format ?

You need never this format because there are no other programs that
can work with this format.

> Look at al the flavors of PostScript available:
>   Encapsulated PostScript

A text/TeX document with one or two figures form Mathematica

>   Mathematica abbreviated PostScript

A TeX document with several Mathematica images. Add the
to the document and use only the smaler abbreviated PostScript files

>   Encapsulated PostScript with device independent preview
>   Encapsulated PostScript with TIFF preview

Some word processors have non PostScript interpreter and will show
you the bitmap preview on screen instead of the rendered PostScript

>   PostScript image format

Bitmaps ? There is in fact no reason to use this format. It is
always better to save a jpeg or TIFF image and convert the compressd
form to PostScript than to use the uncompressed bitmap of Mathematica

> When would one want to use each type of PostScript ?
> When would I want to use the various sound formats ?
> They include:
>   AIFF format
>   nu law encoding (.au)
>   sound file format

What does your music software/ microphon
software produce ?

> The Help Browser says "In some formats, lists of frames for
> animated graphics can be given".  It clearly says this can be
> done for with GIF format.  In what other formats can we export
> animations ?

Quick Time may be on a Mac, MPEG not.