Image Analysis?

I posted to this newsgroup rearlier regarding application of
Mathematica doing images analysis. Can the program capable to give me
information on related features of a true color tiff image.  I have an aerial
photograph which I interested to find an algorithm which may define areas with
similar characteristics
(As say wetlands, uplands, or erodable soil).

Any ideas?

JOse