Clippling of polygons within a defined region

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg18964] Clippling of polygons within a defined region
  • From: John Tanner <john at janacek.demon.co.uk>
  • Date: Fri, 30 Jul 1999 01:33:51 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

With most Graphics functions, "PlotRange" clips plots to within defined
(rectangular) areas, and when the option Frame is used, the clipping
occurs at the frame boundary.

Unfortunately, while this clipping applies correctly to Line, Point
etc., Polygons are not clipped at all in the presence of the Frame
option: these appear within the whole visible area (obscuring the axes
etc.) and not just within the PlotRange.
It is possible to force the clipping by brute force by adding an extra
Polygon masking all but the wanted region, with colour of White: however
this now also masks the axes of the Frame!

(1) Is there a better way of clipping Polygons, since PlotRange is
ineffective?

(2) Is there a way of forcing the Frame and Axes to be plotted last
instead of first, thus plotting on top of a White Polygon?
  from -   John Tanner                 home -  john at janacek.demon.co.uk
  mantra - curse Microsoft, curse...   work -  john.tanner at gecm.com
I hate this 'orrible computer,  I really ought to sell it:
It never does what I want,      but only what I tell it.