Aborting execution -- a hard stop

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg17973] Aborting execution -- a hard stop
  • From: Virgil Stokes <virgil.stokes at neuro.ki.se>
  • Date: Mon, 7 Jun 1999 02:51:24 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

I have written several functions that contain the Throw function and
these are executed when an error occurs. Each function is
enclosed with an appropriate Catch function and these work
fine.

However, in several notebooks where these are used
I have many different cells and I would like to "halt'' execution
when the Catch returns from an incomplete execution within
a function. What happens now is I execute an Abort[]; but,
this does not halt execution -- the next
sequential cell is executed after the $Aborted is generated
from the Abort[].

How can I really "halt" execution (hard stop), immediately
after any Catch is activated?

-- Virgil
PS. I am using Mathematica 3.0