Re: Question on symbols in modules

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg17954] Re: [mg17945] Question on symbols in modules
  • From: "Andrzej Kozlowski" <andrzej at tuins.ac.jp>
  • Date: Mon, 7 Jun 1999 02:51:15 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Mathematica creates symbols as it "reads" your programs. Even in the
following case:

In[1]:=
Names["Global`*"]
Out[1]=
{}

In[2]:=
Clear[mysymbol1]

In[3]:=
Names["Global`*"]
Out[3]=
{mysymbol1}

The only case I can think of when new symbol is not added is

In[4]:=
Remove[mysymbol2]

In[5]:=
Names["Global`*"]
Out[5]=
{mysymbol1}

but I believe it was actually first created and then removed. When you use
Module the global variable tmp which is created when your programm is read
has no relatioin to the local variable tmp (actually tmp$somenumber) which
in your case  was in fact created only when you actually evaluated test[]
(that's because you used := and not =. It has nothing to do with using
Module).
Finally you do not actually need an explicit Return in this sort of
situation. In Mathematica Return[] is basically used to break out of loops:
in this case there is no difference between your program and

In[1]:=
test[] := Module[{tmp,},tmp]

In[2]:=
test[]