why Developer` and Experimental` functions are not in Add-ons help

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg18135] why Developer` and Experimental` functions are not in Add-ons help
  • From: "P.J. Hinton" <paulh at wolfram.com>
  • Date: Fri, 18 Jun 1999 00:51:40 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

In article <7k9pnp$ov3$5 at dragonfly.wolfram.com>, Murray Eisenberg
<murray at math.umass.edu> writes:

> Both Help > Built-in Functions > New in Version 4 and, in the Help
> Browser,  Built-in Functions > Additional Functions ... seem a bit odd
> as sole Help system access to Experimental and Developer.
>
> Since these functions REQUIRE using their contexts, should not reference
> to them (also) be under Add-Ons?  That's where I first looked, and was
> suprised not to find them there.

These functions are not in the Add-ons help because they are built-in
functions.  They are not defined in packages within the AddOns directory
tree.

When you invoke the << Developer` or << Experimental` commands, you are
just adding the symbol's context to $ContextPath so that you don't have to
use the symbol longnames to access them.

--
P.J. Hinton
Mathematica Programming Group           paulh at wolfram.com
Wolfram Research, Inc.