Re: INDEFINITE INTEGRALS

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg18069] Re: [mg18020] INDEFINITE INTEGRALS
  • From: "Andrzej Kozlowski" <andrzej at tuins.ac.jp>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Jun 1999 01:43:29 -0400
  • Delivery-date: Tue Jun 15 02:15:42 1999
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

The reason that Mathematica gives these answers is that they are quite
correct, just they are not given in the form you expected. One can check
this:

In[1]:=
Integrate[1/(a+x^2),x]
Out[1]=
ArcTan[-------]
       Sqrt[a]
---------------
    Sqrt[a]

In[2]:=
TrigToExp[%]
Out[2]=
             I x                I x
I (Log[1 - -------] - Log[1 + -------])
           Sqrt[a]            Sqrt[a]
---------------------------------------
               2 Sqrt[a]

You can see now that if a is negative, say -b^2 than Sqrt[a] is I*b and you
get the answer you expected. You can induce Mathematica to give you that
answer if from the start you use -b^2 in place of a

In[3]:=
Integrate[1/(-b^2+x^2),x]
Out[3]=
  ArcTanh[-]