Re: Forcing Re[]'s to be Real

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg18261] Re: [mg18223] Forcing Re[]'s to be Real
  • From: Anthony Foglia <afoglia at physics.ucsb.edu>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Jun 1999 14:24:45 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

On Wed, 23 Jun 1999, Daniel Lichtblau wrote:

> I could not replicate your findings in any current version of
> Mathematica (that is, version 3 or 4),

	Sorry, it appears to be that I'm using Mathematica 3.0 for Linux.
(In the About box, there's a X 3.0.2.0 under the read line and the graphic
of the box.)

> although I got something along
> the lines of what you say using version 2.2. The way to get the sort of
> result you want (this is true in general, independent of version) is to
> reverse the order of ComplexExpand and Re. In version 2.2:
>

> In[2]:= ComplexExpand[Re[Sqrt[1+I]]]
>
>          1/4     Pi
> Out[2]= 2    Cos[--]
>                  8

Okay, I discovered I put a space after the I when I wrote it with a
radical sign, but that still doesn't help me do a graph of the function.
I've tried ComplexExpand[Re[k[w]]], and Re[ComplexExpand[k[w]]].