Re: phasing out support for older versions

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg18309] Re: phasing out support for older versions
  • From: "David Keith" <dkeith at hevanet.com>
  • Date: Fri, 25 Jun 1999 22:24:16 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

With respect, I have to disagree. I have been a Mathematica user since V2.2
running on Windows 3.1.  While version 2 was amazing for its day, the
improvement in functionality and stability provided by version 3 was
dramatic, and now version 4 is released.

I don't think we actually want to burden Wolfram with continued support for
version 2. Bug fixes for it are of course out of the question. But even
maintaining current knowledge of the problems, work-arounds, and platform
interactions for S/W developed to run on a 386 under Windows 3.1, and now
running on at least a PII under Windows95, would be too difficult. Software
doesn't have a very good shelf life, but Mathematica has been much better
than most. Re-investing three or four hundred dollars every three or four
years is a reasonable expectation for maintaining a tool like Mathematica.

Best Regards,

Dave

Atul Sharma wrote in message <7ktsip$8v5 at smc.vnet.net>...
>As a licensed user of v 3.01, I was about to order the upgrade to 4.0 when
>read this post. Though I have had nothing but good things to say about
>Mathematica technical support and software, the notion of abandoning
support
>for older versions strikes me as unfair to legitimate users

SNIP SNIP