Plot vs FindMinimum

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg18314] Plot vs FindMinimum
  • From: "Joaquin Gonzalez de Echavarri" <jge at clientes.euskaltel.es>
  • Date: Sat, 26 Jun 1999 19:07:57 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

I'm trying to find the minimum of a function practically flat in a very
large intervall, after that it falls suddenly, reaches the minimun and rises
very fast again.

I'm able to see the function and the minimun with Plot in a fraction of
second but is very dificult and it takes a lot of time to find it with
FindMinimum, my question is:

Is it not possible to use the same algorithm that Plot uses for finding the
value of the minimun?

What's that algorithm?
TK and BR

Joako