MultiplicativeOrder[k,n] ?

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg18373] MultiplicativeOrder[k,n] ?
  • From: piovere at (Rob Peterson)
  • Date: Wed, 30 Jun 1999 14:13:33 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

I am trying to figure out what MultiplicativeOrder[k,n] is. The book
says this function gives the smallest integer m such that k^m = (3
lines as if this is a definition) 1 mod n.  I understand what Mod[k,n]
means but I dont' understand what "1 mod n" means.  Could someone
please help me - I've found nothing in the math books on the subject.

Thanks, Rob