Re: M-EPS to real EPS

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg16303] Re: M-EPS to real EPS
  • From: "P.J. Hinton" <paulh>
  • Date: Sun, 7 Mar 1999 01:05:35 -0500
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

On 5 Mar 1999 nobody at nowhere.moderated.news.pipex.net wrote:

> I'm searching for a program that converts Mathematica(MacIntosh)
> generated EPS to ?real? EPS for use in LATEX(Linux) without using
> Mathematica (DISPLAY)  itself. I want to use the graphics from the
> notebook without re-calculating the whole thing.

There are two routes to generating EPS files on the Macintosh under
Mathematica 3.0.

The first is to invoke Display[] with the third argument set to "EPS" or
"EPSTIFF" ("EPS-TIFF" on early releases of Mathematica 3.0).  The string
"EPS" will generate the EPS file with no bitmap preview, and the string
"EPS-TIFF" will generate a TIFF bitmap preview.  This relies on an
external MathLink program, nameed PSrender.  PSrender can only work with
fonts that are available in Type 1 format and properly cataloged in
PSres.upr files.  The limitation of using Display[] is that it will
substitute unavailable fonts with Courier, which may produce undesirable
results.

The second route uses the front end.  You select the graphic that you wish
to export and then click on the front end menu command sequence

	Edit -> Save Selection As -> EPS

A file browse dialog will prompt you for a filename which will be used to
store the graphic.  On the Macintosh, front-end generated EPS files
include a bitmap (PICT?) preview.  The Type 1 font limitation on PSrender
does not apply with this route.

If you are using Mathematica 2.2, refer to the User's Guide for the front
end.  There should be a section on how to convert the clipboard's contents
to EPS for the purposes of saving the graphic to a file.

If you prefer to generate the EPS files programmatically (no
point-and-click) without relying on PSrender, you can take a lesser known
route.  First, use Display[] with no format argument or "MPS" to save out
the graphics as Mathematica abbreviated PostScript.  Once these files are
generated, upload them to your Linux environment.  Obtain a copy of the
Bourne shell script psfix, which can be found in the directory given by
this expression:

ToFileName[{$TopDirectory, "SystemFiles", "Graphics", "SystemResources"}]

Upload this file in Text mode to your the Linux machine.

If this file does not appear on the Macintosh HFS partition, have your
Mathematica CD-ROM mounted on your Linux machine as an ISO 9660 filesystem
and then copy the psfix script from:

/<cdrom mount point>/Unix/Files/SystemFiles/Graphics/SystemResources

This script should be placed somewhere on PATH environment variable.

You can then run psfix to convert the MPS files to EPS.  Usage notes are
given in the comment headers of the shell script.

POSTER'S NOTE: It would be nice if posters would refrain from sending
completely anonymous postings to this moderated newsgroup.  I don't think
anonymity is a huge need here.

--
P.J. Hinton
Mathematica Programming Group           paulh at wolfram.com