FFT

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg16322] FFT
  • From: Pablo Yaggi <pyaggi at cvtci.com.ar>
  • Date: Sun, 7 Mar 1999 01:05:45 -0500
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Pablo Yaggi wrote:
Hi,
anybody knews How does a high frecuency FFT spectrum analyzer works?
Because, let me know if I'm wrong, If you increase sampling frecuency
you decrease resolution for a given size of array, and if you increment
the array size to get for example 1hz resolution you need 1second to get

the samples.
A way to get resolution without loosing resolution is truncation of time

domain samples?
I mean for example :
get 4096 samples at 44100 samp. rate, and get into the fft with a 8192
packet padded with 0's.
Well, if anyone can help me ...
Pablo

That was my first message that for any extrange reason I can't see it on
the group ...,
but I know now that padding with 0's increase the resolution, but just
on representing data and not on computing, it's just the same. So how
can I get more resolution? for example in an audio samples array.

Pablo.