RE: Front End Stalls When Not On Network

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg16295] RE: [mg16188] Front End Stalls When Not On Network
  • From: paulh (P.J. Hinton)
  • Date: Sun, 7 Mar 1999 01:05:31 -0500
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

In article <7bnu2b$dj7 at smc.vnet.net>, "ELLIS, Luci" <EllisL at rba.gov.au> writes:

> I had this problem yesterday.  The problem you may be experiencing is that
> Mathematica by default installs certain parts of the software --
> specifically the licensing information -- on the server volume that your NT
> profile is stored on. So when you aren't on the network, you can't access
> the password.
> The fix is to copy (not move) the directories from the server onto your
> local hard drive.
> For example, on my network drive, there is a path H:\Mathematica\3.0\ in
> which there are two directories, FrontEnd and Licencing.
> Put the Licencing folder and contents into the local hard disk distribution
> at the path:
>  D:\Program Files\Wolfram Research\Mathematica\3.0\Configuration\
>
> I'm not sure if this is necessary, but you may also want to put the *files*
> from the directories inside Caches directory from the FrontEnd directory
> into the local hard disk distribution at the path:
>  D:\Program Files\Wolfram Research\Mathematica\3.0\SystemFiles\
>  There are various subdirectories in this directory structure -- you have to
> put the files in directory that matches the name of the directory that they
> came from on the network drive. Note that these files do not replace files
> on the local hard drive, they have different filename extensions. I don't
> know what they do.

Mathematica 3.0 under Windows keeps a preferences folder for storing
password file information and individual settings for the front end.

Under Windows 95/98, this folder is written to:

	C:\Program Files\Common Files

Under Windows NT, the folder will be written to:

	%HOMEDRIVE%%HOMEPATH%

Where HOMEDRIVE and HOMEPATH are environment variables that are defined
by the NT Administrator when the account is created.

You can override these settings by specifying an alternative path in
the environment variable MATHEMATICA_PREFERENCES.  This path will be
where the Mathematica folder will be written.  Note that this differs
slightly from the kernel's own $PreferencesDirectory setting since
it includes the Mathematica\3.0 folders in its path.

A shared password file (mathpass) can be placed in the core Mathematica
installation in the directory given by:

	ToFileName[{$TopDirectory, "Configuration", "Licensing"}]

--
P.J. Hinton
Mathematica Programming Group		paulh at wolfram.com
Wolfram Research, Inc.			http://www.wolfram.com/~paulh/