Re: Mathematica Problem

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg16422] Re: Mathematica Problem
  • From: Eckhard Hennig <hennig at itwm.uni-kl.de>
  • Date: Sat, 13 Mar 1999 02:21:39 -0500
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

>I'm trying to use mathematica to run an external application and
>return the results to the mathematica routine.  I'm wanting to use
>the command "RunThrough" but I've found out that this command only
>works on "certain computer systems".  I'm using dos/windows'95.
>What exactly does it mean when it says it can only run on certain
>systems?  Is there another way I can get this to work?

Jon,

RunThrough does work under Windows 95/NT, but there are a few things you
need to observe. It appears that RunThrough does not handle long file names
correctly, particularly if the path to the application you want to execute
contains spaces. So the following command will probably not work on your
system:

  RunThrough[
    "C:\\Program Files\\Wolfram Research\\Mathematica\\3.0\\myapp.exe",
    ""
  ]

The reason seems to be that Mathematica interprets this command as

  RunThrough["C:\\Program" ...]

with arguments "Files\\Wolfram" and "Research\\Mathematica\\3.0\\myapp.exe".
To avoid this problem, move your external applications to a directory with a
short name, say "C:\\extapps", and call your executable with

  RunThrough["C:\\extapps\\myapp.exe", ""]

Alternatively, you can add your application path to your system's PATH
variable. Then,

  RunThrough["myapp.exe", ""]

should do the job.

Best regards,

  Eckhard

Dipl.-Ing. Eckhard Hennig      mailto:hennig at itwm.uni-kl.de
Institut fuer Techno- und Wirtschaftsmathematik e.V. (ITWM)
Erwin-Schroedinger-Strasse,  67663 Kaiserslautern,  Germany
  Voice: +49-(0)631-205-3126    Fax: +49-(0)631-205-4139
    http://www.itwm.uni-kl.de/as/employees/hennig.html

     ITWM - Makers of Analog Insydes for Mathematica
        http://www.itwm.uni-kl.de/as/products/ai