RE: An open letter

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg16658] RE: [mg16540] An open letter
  • From: "Ersek, Ted R" <ErsekTR at navair.navy.mil>
  • Date: Fri, 19 Mar 1999 12:54:06 -0500
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Jack Goldberg  wrote:
------------------------------
< snip >

I want to illustrate
"Integration by Parts".  So I try to define

ByParts[Integrate[f_*g_,x_],g_] := ????

What I would like as an output of  ByParts is this

Integrate[f*g,x] == f*Integrate[g,x] -
	Integrate[D[f,x]*Integrate[g,x],x]

where the integration on the left IS NOT performed, the integration of
g  in the two integrals on the right is performed but the last integral
on the right is unevaluated.  Put in other words, I would like Mathematica
display the kind of formula the student would get using integration by
parts.  I have found this surprisingly difficult to do.

I suspect the Calculus Wiz is programmed to do this for you.  Read about it
at
http://store.wolfram.com/view/calcwiz/?36F0EBB0-39EA
Even if it doesn't it will likely have lots of features you will find
helpful in teaching Calculus.

Regards,
Ted Ersek