Re: Integration using "shortcut keys"

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg16664] Re: Integration using "shortcut keys"
  • From: "P.J. Hinton" <paulh>
  • Date: Fri, 19 Mar 1999 12:54:10 -0500
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com
On 18 Mar 1999, Jay wrote:

> When possible I like to use the alias, or exampe escape int escape
> displays the integral sign so you input looks like math symbols rather
> than mathematica speak. I found that I can calculate indefinite
> integrals but not definite integrals using this technique. Mathematica
> will allow the input for the integration limits but it doesn't
> evaluate the integral. Any ideas, besides just doing it the old
> fashioned way. Integrate[x^2,{x,0,4}]

If we create an definite integral using the BasicInput palette and look at
its underlying box structure:

RowBox[{
  SubsuperscriptBox["\[Integral]", "a", "b"],
  RowBox[{
    RowBox[{"f", "[", "x", "]"}],
    RowBox[{"\[DifferentialD]", "x"}]}]}]

Notice that the box that wraps the \[Integral] character is a
SubsuperscriptBox.  If we look at the reference guide entry for
SubsuperscriptBox by evaluating this expression in a notebook

FrontEndExecute[FrontEnd`HelpBrowserLookup["RefGuide",
  "SubsuperscriptBox"]]

You'll see a note that reads:

o In a notebook, a Subsuperscriptbox can be created using Ctrl -, or
Ctrl _ to move to the subscript, then Ctrl % to move to the superscript.
Ctrl <space> moves out of the subscript or superscript.

We now have a method for creating the definite integral.

1) Type <esc>int<esc> to create the integral sign.

2) Hit Ctrl _ to create the subscript entry point.  Enter your lower
limit.

3) Hit Ctrl % to create the superscript entry point.  Enter the upper
limit

4) Hit Ctrl <space> to escape the superscript.

5) Proceed typing in your integrand, followed by the <esc>dd<esc>x.

See Chapters 16-18 of _The Beginners Guide to Mathematica Mathematica 3_
by Jerry Glynn and Theodore Gray for a discussion on how to enter a fairly
complicated typeset math structure using approaches of increasing speed.

--
P.J. Hinton
Mathematica Programming Group           paulh at wolfram.com
Wolfram Research, Inc.                  http://www.wolfram.com/~paulh/