Re: Product of transpositions

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg17366] Re: [mg17318] Product of transpositions
  • From: "David Park" <djmp at earthlink.net>
  • Date: Mon, 3 May 1999 01:46:02 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

>Hi group,
>
>I have a question/challenge.
>
>Given a list of transpositions
>
>{{a,b},{c,d},{e,f},...}
>
>where a,b,c... are all positive integers less than or equal to n,
>produce the permutation, or cyclic decomposition of the product of
the
>transpositions. I don't care if you choose to multiply transpositions
>left to right or right to left. >--
>Carl Woll
>Dept of Physics
>U of Washington

Carl,

You might wish to check out the Exploring Abstract Algebra With
Mathematica book and packages by Allen C. Hibbard and Kenneth M.
Levasseur. A very nice package with lots of nice graphics as a bonus.
They have functions such as ToCycles which takes a permutation to
cycles, ToPermutation which goes the other way, MultiplyCycles, and
ToTranspositions. One used to be able to load down the packages from
their web site http://www.central.edu/eaam.html . I don't know if you
still can. Their e-mail addresses are hibbarda at central.edu and
Kenneth_Levasseur at uml.edu .

David Park