Horner's method on subexpressions

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg17351] Horner's method on subexpressions
  • From: Ben Raphael <braphael at ucsd.edu>
  • Date: Mon, 3 May 1999 01:45:54 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

I have a sequence of expressions that contain polynomials and other
terms.  An example is an expression of the form:

1/2 Re[-2/x^28 + 2(1+x)^56 / x^28] + Re[(1 / (-1 + 2x)^29) (high degree
polynomial in x)]/483298748

The polynomials that appear have integer coefficients.  What I would
like to do is rewrite this expression by applying the Horner[] function
to the polynomial, in order to speed up evaluation.  However, the Horner
function only takes polynomial arguments, so one way to proceed is to
extract the polynomial term, apply Horner and then reconstruct the
expression.  Does anyone know an efficient way to do this, or have
method to suggest?

Thanks,

Ben Raphael
braphael at ucsd.edu