Re: Complex Plot

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg17413] Re: [mg17371] Complex Plot
  • From: "Andrzej Kozlowski" <andrzej at tuins.ac.jp>
  • Date: Thu, 6 May 1999 02:44:22 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

You do not explain enough about what you  want to plot. What is the argument
of your function and what, if anything, is meant to be real? For example, if
w is meant to be a fixed real number and t a real variable, then you just
get the unit circle  which you can plot with, say,

ParametricPlot[{Cos[w t], Sin[w t]},{t,0, 2Pi}]

Or perhaps w is a fixed complex number and t is a real variable. You can
also deal with this case in a similar way. For example, if w=1+I, you get a
spiral with parametric equation
x=E^(-t)*Cos[t], y=E^(-t)*Sin[t], which again you can  plot as above. If, on
the other hand w is fixed and t is a complex variable than you have to use
the Graphics`ComplexMap` package, or perhaps use color to represent the 4th
dimension.

--
Andrzej Kozlowski
Toyama International University