Re: raw TCP/IP socket communication in mathematica

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg17426] Re: raw TCP/IP socket communication in mathematica
  • From: dreeves at flip.eecs.umich.edu (Daniel Reeves)
  • Date: Thu, 6 May 1999 02:44:29 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

I think the ability to send and retrieve arbitrary strings over TCP
sockets is very important.  The specific application I have in mind is
creating bidding agents that participate in an online auction (part of my
research on artificial intelligence for ecommerce).  This type
of application is becoming more and more common and I think it's important
that Mathematica support communication with programs other than mathlink
compatible ones.  Bots that gather data on the web is another example of
why this would be necessary.

It should be straightforward to implement this in the kernel by having an
option for LinkConnect that says "Raw".  Then all LinkWrite's and
LinkRead's would send and receive plain strings.

Does this sound feasible for a future version?

Daniel Reeves               http://ai.eecs.umich.edu/people/dreeves/

"Drawing on my fine command of language, I said nothing."