Making large movies

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg17441] Making large movies
  • From: "William B. Marks" <bmarks at helix.nih.gov>
  • Date: Sun, 9 May 1999 04:43:50 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Working on a Mac under OS 8.0, I now produce large movies by sending
PostScript frames to disk.  Then I read them in in batches that will fi in
RAM and convert to QuickTime using the MenuBar.  This limits the size movie
I can make to the number of frames that will fit on a 4 GByte disk, about
400 frames at 10 MB per frame.

If Mathematica could generate QuickTime underprogram control, not requiring
menubar intervention by the user, I could send many more frames to disk.

Mathematica CAN send PICT frames to disk, and these can be converted to
QuickTime, but the image quality has thus far been terrible.

So I would appreciate suggestions about command control of QT, image
quality in PICT, or another way produce compressed frames that could be
converted to QT.

Thanks,
Bil Marks