Re: Cellular Automata question

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg17535] Re: [mg17465] Cellular Automata question
  • From: Robert Pratt <rpratt at math.unc.edu>
  • Date: Fri, 14 May 1999 01:13:08 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Seth,

If I understand correctly what you mean by an update rule (namely, a
function from 25 binary variables to a single binary variable), there are
2*(2^25) = 2^26 such rules (not 2^(2^25)).  Now considering rotations, we
are effectively counting 2-colorings of the 5x5 grid up to rotational
symmetry, and Polya theory applies.  It can be shown that there are
	(2^25 + 2^7 + 2^13 + 2^7) / 4 = 8390720
such colorings, hence
	2*(8390720) = 16781440
update rules (two choices for the image).

I have also worked out the general formulas for nxn grids and m colors.
The formulas differ for n even and n odd, but all are on the order of
(m^(n^2)) / 4.  I can post them if anyone wants.

Rob Pratt
Department of Mathematics
CB# 3250, 331 Phillips Hall
Chapel Hill, NC  27599-3250