Re: Directed, Labeled Graphs

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg17588] Re: [mg17537] Directed, Labeled Graphs
  • From: "David Park" <djmp at earthlink.net>
  • Date: Mon, 17 May 1999 02:14:33 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

>Hello,
>The DiscreteMath`Combinatorica` package creates labeled graphs
>and directed graphs,  but doesn't appear to make labeled,
>directed graphs.   Is there something I am missing or will I
>have to dig into the package ?   Ideally I would like to
>use the MakeGraph[] command with the second argument a
>nonsymmetric function  ( directedPathQ[ #1, #2 ]& ) and
>generate a directed, labeled graph.  Any advice would be greatly
>appreciated.
>
>(If this sort of functionality will be in Mathematica 4.0 I could
wait,
>but this seems unlikely since Steve Skeina's web page doesn't
>mention a new version.)
>
>thx in advance ---- dell
>
>--
>/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
///
>Dell Kronewitter   ----  dkronewi at ucsd.edu ---- Dept of Mathematics
UCSD
>Office:2325  Applied Physics & Math
WWW:http://math.ucsd.edu/~dkronewi

Dell,

I also desired a more functional MakeGraph function in Combinatorica.
Skiena wisely included all the code for his routines in his book,
Implementing Discrete Mathematics, and it is not too difficult to "dig
into it" and write your own routines.

I wrote a package, CombinatoricaPlots, with a function PlotGraph that
adds additional features including directed edges. It also allows
larger text sizes without cutting off the text, and plotting
directives such as color or dashing for the edges.

It also has a routine DrawGraph which can be used inside
Show[Graphics[...]] to build up a graph using different directives for
different edges.

I am sending the package and a sample notebook to you in a separate
email. If others wish the package they can contact me. If I get a few
requests I will sent it directly, it I get many I will put it up on my
web site.

David Park
djmp at earthlink.net
http://home.earthlink.net/~djmp/